Our main reason for thinking that the nanocrystals were not twinned is because the "regular" crystals of the same form, grown under very similar conditions were not twinned (1jb0). The space group, unit cell, and indeed the structure in the ASU were all the same. In fact, I don't think anyone has grown twinned crystals of this protein?

But, to address Colin's question:

In Figure 2 of the Nature paper we showed some "Shrinkwrap" reconstructions of the crystal shape from the spot shape. For those who don't know Shrinnkwrap, it works a lot like "dm" or "solomon", except you have 99.9% solvent content (the area outside the crystal), so it is fairly robust. In all the cases I have seen, there is only one blob in the shape reconstruction, indicating a single (non-twinned) crystal. In fact, many of them look like a hexagonal prismatic solid, which is what samples of these crystals look like under EM. This was done for several images, but certainly not all of them. I don't think any single human being has looked at all of the images.

However, maybe Colin would be interested in the "double hits"? The nanocrystals were diluted to avoid them, but every so often two crystals are caught in a single shot, and you see two lattices on the detector. Autoindexing generally fails in these cases, but the distance between the two crystallites should be apparent as a modulation of the fringes.

Colin, maybe you could ask Henry Chapman or John Spence about that?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist