Hi,

Slightly deviating from the original thread perhaps: I am having
trouble with recent releases of Ubuntu on my Toshiba Satellite laptop,
mainly associated with ACPI. The internet is awash with discussions on
how to fix the problems with ACPI (fan speed, screen brightness etc).
None of the solutions that have been suggested, work for me. I still
run Ubuntu 8.04, which is ok, but all versions after that effectively
mean the screen brightness is stuck at one level and the fan either
runs on full speed or not at all. Other people in the lab have
reported similar problems with their laptop (various makes). Does
anyone know of a linux distribution where everything just works,
without having to go back to the dark ages of linux where multimedia
etc are not supported?

Thanks,

Johan

Dr. Johan P. Turkenburg                     X-ray facilities manager
York Structural Biology Laboratory
University of York                               Phone (+) 44 1904 328251
York YO10 5DD   UK                          Fax   (+) 44 1904 328266