From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of David
Schuller
Sent: February-22-11 9:30 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] linux flavors

Installation of the proprietary nVidia driver is easier with Fedora 14;
the hassles with removing the Nouveau driver have been greatly simplified.

We use Fedora, although I certainly cannot claim that it has been
problem free. It does seem better suited for centrally-managed systems,
as compared with the most frequently mentioned alternative, Ubuntu,
which is perhaps more suitable for a single owner-operator environment.

On 02/22/11 10:16, David Roberts wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Quick question on linux varieties.  For years (and years) I have used
> fedora (after Ultrix of course).  In fact, most of my computers are
> running FC7 (that long ago), it's very stable and works fine.  However,
> since it is no longer supported, I'm toying with upgrading.
>
> I upgraded one machine to FC13.  However, this nouveau driver thing is
> killing me, and getting my nvidia drivers installed is hopeless (I have
> followed every thread on this and I simply give up - it's not worth
> it).  With a Zalman monitor it doesn't matter - nouveau works fine and
> my stereo is good - so I don't really care (or do I).
>
> The question is this - what flavors of linux out there are simplest to
> install - work instantly with various hardwares, and run stereo
> seamlessly (either Zalman stereo or hardware stereo with an emitter).
> For zalman anything works - which is why I'm going that way - but I
> still need hardware stereo on a few machines.  So, for hardware, I need
> my nvidia drivers to install easily.
>
> I'm downloading ubuntu - is that a good choice?  Can I run different
> flavors of linux with nfs and share drives in a local network (so one
> has fc7, one has fc13, and another has ubuntu)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

All Things Serve the Beam
                                David J. Schuller