David,
  I'm a big fan of SuSE. the nuveau problem exists, too, but
blacklisting fixed it for me. For older hardware I love ultimate linux.
  The way I understand Zalman stereo it works with everything, given the
program you use supports it.
  I'm sure you are aware of the problem with nVidia and emitters under
Linux: you need the DIN pin on the card; USB emitters won't work. As far
as I can tell, you also need the new nVidia DIN emitter, I had bad
results with nuVision emitters and the new nVidia driver.

Cheers,

Jens