This is very closely related to the way in which I would like to think about
this: if you consider adding another thin shell of data, are you adding any
significant information? Unfortunately as Garib Murshudov has pointed out, we
don't have any reliable way of estimating the information content of data.
(Also it should be considered anisotropically.)

Another way of thinking about this is to consider that if we had perfect error
models and weighted the data perfectly, then adding a shell of data with
essentially no useful information should at least do no harm (ie weights are
close to zero).  But we do not have perfect error models, so adding too much
data may in the end degrade our structural model.

Much of the problem arises from our addiction to R-factors as a measure of
quality, when they are unweighted and therefore very misleading. We are are
also too quick to judge the quality of a structure by its nominal "resolution",
whatever that means. In the end, the important question as ever is "does the
experimental data support the conclusions drawn from it?" and that will depend
on local information about particular atoms and groups, not on global indicators

Phil