I'm not going to respond to the larger group, but I know one can buy LEDs that emit strongly at 280 nm, which would give tryptophan fluorescence. They're about $200, and one could build or buy a control circuit for not much more. I think this is about what the commercial tools do. You'd want front illumination. You can get the LED with a convex lens on the front, giving a focus about 1" away. At that point the light is dangerous -- don't shine it into your eye from that distance. You'd want to ask your local safety guys to check it out.

We would use it at the synchrotron with a flash circuit that would be synchronized with a video camera -- I think roughly 20ms would do it.

Let me know if it works.

Bob

         Robert M. Sweet                 E-Dress: sw...@bnl.gov
         Group Leader, PXRR: Macromolecular               ^ (that's L
           Crystallography Research Resource at NSLS            not 1)
           http://px.nsls.bnl.gov/
         Biology Dept
         Brookhaven Nat'l Lab.           Phones:
         Upton, NY  11973                631 344 3401  (Office)
         U.S.A.                          631 344 2741  (Facsimile)