A while ago I was trying to be cheap, so we played around with it quite a bit in the lab. After rediscovering some of the basics of signal-to-noise and microscope transmission efficiency and that sort of rot, I realised that the commercial systems may not be all that ridiculously overpriced after all. Not if one wants to be able to say something useful about really really small crystals -- the only ones that really matter in the grand scheme of things (big ones are quick to test; little ones must first be optimized = money+time).

But maybe I was just being incompetent.  Happens.
phx.