Have a look at this paper:

        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=18289875

the bottom line appears to be that, in most cases, co-transforming with
plasmids expressing rare tRNAs is just as good as codon optimizing the gene for
your protein of interest. In addition to the financial aspects already touched
upon by Tassos, we even had cases where codon optimizing a gene actually
completely abolished its expression, presumably by causing havoc at the mRNA
level. This obviously won't happen if you co-express rare codon tRNAs...

HTH, Luca

Luca Jovine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor & EMBO Young Investigator
Karolinska Institutet
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition & Center for Biosciences
Hälsovägen 7, SE-141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Voice: +46.(0)8.524-81136  FAX: +46.(0)8.6081-501
E-mail: luca.jov...@ki.se
W3: http://jovinelab.org