Hi Jan

I have used Vivaspins for membrane proteins and they generally work fine. The
exact pore size might be different though between Vivaspin and Amicon with the
same specifications, say e.g. 100,000 MWCO. So you might find that your protein
is retained in one of them, while it is in the flowthrough with the other.

Best regards

Florian

Am 05.10.2011 um 11:22 schrieb Jan Gebauer:

> Dear all,
>
> sorry, for the slightly off-topic theme, but I wonder if anyone has
> compared the above mentioned ultracentrifugation devices, thoroughly.
>
> Currently, we are using the Amicon Ultra, but as the Vivaspins are
> considerably cheaper we are considering to change.
>
> I used both with extracellular matrix proteins and both worked fine for
> me; however, some of us are working with membrane proteins, which might
> behave differently.
>
> Has anyone experiences with Vivaspins and membrane proteins?
>
> Has anyone compared the two (also with non-membrane proteins) and can
> share her or his experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan
> --
> Dr. Jan Gebauer
> AG Prof. Baumann
> Institut für Biochemie / Uni-Köln
> Otto-Fischer-Str. 12-14 / 50674 Köln
> Fon: +49 (221) 470 3212
> Fax: +49 (221) 470 5066

Dr. Florian Brückner
Biomolecular Research Laboratory, OFLG/102
Paul Scherrer Institut
CH-5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
Tel.: +41 (0) 56 310 2332