Each R-free flag corresponds a particular HKL index. Redundancy refers to the
number of times a reflection corresponding to a given HKL index is observed.
The final structure factor of a given HKL can be thought of as an average of
these redundant observations.

Related to your question, someone once mentioned that for each particular space
group, there should be a preferred R-free assignment. As far as I know, nothing
tangible ever came of that idea.

James