I strongly suspect that it is much more cost effective to have the PDB archive
a unit of data than it is to have it archived at the lab or department level.
So I suspect that more money will be available for doing science if we turn
over archival responsibilities for image data to the kind folks at the PDB, who
really know what they are doing and capture efficiencies of scale that are out
of reach for most labs.