Continuing on the subject, as far as I know there are at least
three flavors of form-factors currently used in refinement programs:

"4 gaussian plus const":
International Tables for Crystallography (1992)

"5 gaussian plus const":
D. Waasmaier & A. Kirfel. Acta Cryst. (1995). A51, 416-431. "New analytical
scattering-factor functions for free atoms and ions"

"n-gaussian" (n determined dynamically)
Grosse-Kunstleve RW, Sauter NK & Adams PD. Newsletter of the IUCr
Commission on Crystallographic Computing 2004, 3:22-31. "cctbx news"

All three are available in PHENIX (the 3rd is used by default), and I
presume the first one is used in CNS and Refmac, if I remember correctly
(the authors of respective programs please correct me).

Pavel