Lu,

To add a metal ion to a structure, you can use "place atom at pointer" or "Get Monomer...". I usually use the latter. For instructions see http://capsicum.colgate.edu/chwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Model+Building+and+Validation#Adding_ligands_to_a_protein. For cadmium, I think you can enter "CD" for the monomer name (all caps). The documentation for Refmac has a complete list of recognized monomers and their 2-3 letter names.

To refine the metal in Refmac with restrained ligand distances, see http://capsicum.colgate.edu/chwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Model+Refinement#Restraining_metal_ligand_distances_during_refinement_in_REFMAC. Refmac will create a .cif file with the proper restraints when you try to run it the first time (and fails). Include the library (.cif) file when you re-run the job and all will be well.

BTW, if this is a Cd(II) ion, you should really edit columns 76-80 (I think that's right--you'll see the elements listed in the last 4 columns of each line of the pdb file) of the PDB file to read "CD+2" and not "CD ", although in practice this may not make that much difference. But is is more accurate in terms of X-ray scattering if you indicate the ionic charge.

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry