On Jan 18, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Tim Gruene wrote:

> Comments on the comments ;-):

Ditto

>> [...]
>>
>> By the way, I wouldn't use "MAD" to describe the mergeing of
>> non-isomorphous datasets.
> I agree, neither would I.
> Just to be on the save side and avoid confusion by less experienced
> readers of the list: I used the term MAD because there are two data sets
> collected at two different wavelenghts, both of which should give rise
> to a measurable anomalous signal from the Co in the sample.

Using the terms 'MAD' and 'SAD' have always been confusing to me when
considering more complex phasing cases.  What happens if you have intrinsic
Zn's, collect a 3wvl experiment and then derivatize it with SeMet or a heavy
atom?  Or the MAD+native scenario (SHARP) ?

Instead of using MAD/SAD nomenclature I favor explicitly stating whether
dispersive/anomalous/isomorphous differences (and what heavy atoms for each )
were used in phasing.   Aren't analyzing the differences (independent of
source) the important bit anyway?

Francis E. Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder