I believe the most justifiable assumption one can make is that crystal structures are likely to represent the least soluble conformations of a protein under the conditions of crystallization (which might be a broad range of conditions, including physiological). This can be quite vexing if you are studying an allosteric protein and one of the two conformations is typically much less soluble than the other. BTDT. I'm sure others have had the same experience.

Having said that, the solvent content of protein crystals (which is close to that of cellular conditions), the observation of enzymatic activity in many protein crystals, and the *general* concordance of XRD and NMR structures of proteins (when both have been determined) leads one to believe that XRD structures are likely representative of physiologically relevant conformations.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor