... presuming of course the automated software got this resolution limit right.

If for whatever reason you would like to cut the limit mtzutils will
do this nicely:

mtzutils hklin blah_free.mtz hklout blah_lower.mtz << eof
resolution 1.8
eof

(say) - I am sure there are other ways within the suite to do this.

Best wishes,

Graeme