Dear James,
With all due respect, you have left out a key component to successful data
fabrication in the modern age: THE MOLECULAR REPLACEMENT.
Since almost all new structures have more or less close homologues in PDB, a
smart fabricator should use their experimental data as a template. It will be
more difficult to detect than the data built from the calculated structural
factors.

To prevent future fabrication attempts, we do not need submitting  detector
images, partially processed structural data such as unmerged  structural
factors would work, and they do not take that much space. The switch to the
"new format"  could be done in no time....

Alex