Hi Everybody,

I am working in a P4212 plane group, which is a p4 symmetric structure with a
screw axis in addition. My map has in the unit cell two 4-fold symmetric
structures, one if which is upside-down with respect to the other one.   If
using expand in sftools, then the resulting map is p4 symmetrized in the center
between two p4-symmetric structures, which is wrong. This is probably the phase
origin problem referred to here:
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/dist/html/sftools.html#expand

Would anybody have a suggestion how I can expand the p4212 MTZ file to full p1,
but with properly respecting the symmetry phase origin?

My illiterate guess would be to either
1) shift the phase origin in the p4212 MTZ file by (180.0;0.0); then use
sftools with "expand 1" to create the full reflection sets in p1; then shift
back by (180.0;0.0);   or
2) use sftools with the command "expand 1", and then modify (invert?) the
phases of the reflections in the quadrants that have wrong phases.

In option 1) I am not sure if it is possible to shift phase origin, while
staying in p4212 symmetry.  How could I do that?
In option 2) I would probably get into deep water the next time I work with
another symmetry, like p6212, or p2121, where I would have to deal not with
quadrants but with triangles of 60deg angle?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

All the best,

Henning.

Henning Stahlberg, PhD
Prof. for Structural Biology, C-CINA, Biozentrum, University Basel
Mattenstrasse 26 | D-BSSE | WRO-1058 | CH-4058 Basel | Switzerland
http://c-cina.org | Tel. +41-61-387 32 62