Almost assuredly you are getting zinc hydroxide precipitate. Zn(OH)2 will readily precipitate from solutions of alkaline Zn(II). Your problem is compounded by the fact that HEPES is a non-coordinating buffer, so it does not help solubilize the zinc ion. You might find a weakly coordinating buffer, like Tris, will help solubilize Zn(II) at a sufficiently low concentration. Or you could lower the pH slightly to lower the hydroxide ion concentration and increase the solubility of Zn(II). You could also add a chelator like EDTA, tartrate, etc. to the solution to solubilize Zn(II) under alkaline conditions, but then you have the problem of hoping that your protein has a higher affinity for the metal ion than the chelator.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor