Your holo structure has a Ca++ and three water molecules that have not been
built into your low resolution apo map.  These atoms are not expected to be
resolved at 3 A resolution, so I would expect them to appear as a large,
misshapened,
blob.  Your screenshot only shows one contour level.  It is quite possible that
the highest density value is not at the center of the blob.

   You might have a lower occupancy Ca++ atom at the site and the image is
confused
by the low resolution.  Remember, even if the concentration of Ca++ is lower in
this mother liquor any Ca++ that binds will bind exactly as it does in the
fully occupied case.  A weakly binding Ca++ site will not bind before the
strongly
binding site.

   I would first look to see what your holo map looks like when it's resolution
is
truncated to 3 A.  This will give you a sense of what a Ca++ binding in this
site
would look like.  You could try refining a model with the Ca++ and water
molecules,
with lower occupancy, and see what the residual difference map looks like.  You
will,
of course, have to have strong restraints on the geometry to hold this model
together
at 3 A resolution, but fortunately you have a higher resolution model to base
these
restraints on.

   The PDB file is a statement of your belief of what is in the crystal.  Don't
waste
your time refining models that don't make chemical sense.  An ion floating in
space
with no ligands is not a reasonable model so even if it "fits" the density it
can't
be correct.

   There a multiple ways of justifying the model of a crystal and others on the
list
will likely have different ideas for the criteria that should be used.  My
belief is
that you know the holo model and the most likely outcome of your Ca++ extraction
experiment (in a Bayesian prior sense) is a lower occupancy binding of the Ca++
and
its water molecules.  If you build and refine that model and the difference map
is
acceptable you can say that this model is consistent with your experiment.  If
there
is residual density then you can conclude that something is replacing the Ca++,
but untangling superimposed, partial occupancy, models at 3.1 A resolution is
extremely difficult.  I think all you will be able to say is that "something
replaces the Ca++ but it cannot be identified".

   Not everything can be identified in a 3 A map.  Not everything can be
identified
in a 1 A map.  Your job is to say "these parts I understand and these parts I
don't".

Dale Tronrud