>I suspect that pure MIR (without anomalous) was always a fiction. I doubt that
>anyone has ever used it. Heavy atoms always give
>an anomalous signal

>Phil

I suspect that there was a time when the anomalous signal in data sets was
fictional.
Before the invent of flash freezing, systematic errors due to decay and the need
of scaling together many derivative data sets collected on multiple crystals
could render
weak anomalous signal useless. Therefore MIR was needed. Also, current
hardware/software
produces much better reduced data, so weak signals can become useful.

Fred

Fred Dyda, Ph.D.                       Phone:301-402-4496
Laboratory of Molecular Biology        Fax: 301-496-0201
DHHS/NIH/NIDDK                         e-mail:fred.d...@nih.gov
Bldg. 5. Room 303
Bethesda, MD 20892-0560      URGENT message e-mail: 2022476...@mms.att.net
Google maps coords: 39.000597, -77.102102
http://www2.niddk.nih.gov/NIDDKLabs/IntramuralFaculty/DydaFred