While neither of these references detail the "development" of protein
crystallography, they are excellent stories of its birth:

1.) A book written by Richard Dickerson, "Present at the flood"

2.) A recent review in JMB by Strandberg, Dickerson, and Rossmann: "50 years of
Protein Structure Analysis"

We are lucky to have Richard Dickerson as emeritus faculty here at UCLA,
because he cares very much for the history of science. Although I do not have a
personal relationship with him, I always enjoy the opportunity to hear him talk
about the "beginnings." A couple years ago, we had a symposium to celebrate the
50th anniversary of the first protein structures with guest speakers including
Richard Dickerson, David Davies, Brian Matthews, Michael Rossmann, and Bob
Stroud. Surprisingly, I cannot google my way to a recording of the lectures.
I'm sure someone got a video or at least an audio recording, so if I can find
it I will post a link.

Mike T