On Monday, June 18, 2012 02:06:46 pm Alexander Scouras wrote:
> > I'm further racking my brain to figure out a biological implication of this
> > behaviour, I thought something like plaque formation but I can't find
> > support in literature.
>

> There are a variety of domain swapped crystal structures out there, but at
> least the two I'm most familiar with are regarded as being crystallization
> artifacts. I think I recall seeing examples where domain swapping was
> biologically relevant, but my impression is most are red herrings.

You might be interested in the following paper, which describes
domain-swapped ("domain exchange") dimerization as a control mechanism for
kinases.

 Activation segment dimerization: a mechanism for kinase
 autophosphorylation of non-consensus sites.
 Pike, A.C.W.,  Rellos, P.,  Niesen, F.H.,  Turnbull, A.,  Oliver, A.W.,
 Parker, S.A.,  Turk, B.E.,  Pearl, L.H.,  Knapp, S.,
 Journal: (2008) Embo J. 27: 704

But these are specifically dimeric.  Unlike the case posted here,
there is not a second non-swapped interface that would allow
formation of an infinite chain.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg