Hi John,

This is really an amazing wild west story: the man who crystallizes
faster than his protease! I really must compliment you with how you
successfully performed these experiments!

Unfortunately, proteins usually do not crystallize that fast (at least
not in my hands), so in these cases other methods have to be used. As
has mentioned before, protease inhibitors are the way to go. Especially
with autolysis, as one protease cuts another one, the speed of the
reaction goes with the square of the protease concentration. Whereas in
dilute solutions not much happens, as soon as you start to concentrate
towards crystallization conditions, say 10 mg/ml, degradation suddenly
goes very fast.

There are 2 cases to consider:
1) the protein you want to crystallize is a protease and is destroying
itself. In this case you need to cocrystallize with a potent and
specific inhibitor. With serine proteases, Wolfram Bode was very
successful by using chloromethylketone-containing peptides (e.g. PPACK).
These compounds would make covalent links with both the active site
serine and histidine, effectively killing any protease activity.

2) the protein you want to crystallize is not a protease and it is a
contaminant which is causing the problems. In this case I would add a
protease inhibitor coctail in an earlier step of the purification to
block the protease before the final purification steps. I would also add
some small broad protease inhibitor e.g. PMSF to the protein solution
used for crystallization.

Herman