Hi Lei Fang,

I cannot tell what technique you are using for crystallization. Also, many
details like protein concentration, temperature of crystallization etc. are
missing in your email so it's hard to guess what's going on.

In any case, here are my thoughts. I used to get a shower of needles from
hanging drops at 19C but a lot fewer and bigger crystals when I set up
sitting drops under mineral oil at 19C. The crystals took lot longer to
grow (two weeks as opposed to four days using hanging drop) so bear that in
mind. My guess is that you may be able to find protocols if you just do a
quick web search.

There are many other ways to optimize crystal growth and size including
playing with temperature of crystallization (lowering to 4C), amount of
precipitant vs protein, drop size, crystallization technique, seeding by
dilution etc.

Hope that helps.
Raji

--
Raji Edayathumangalam
Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School