I just hope that one day we all will be discussing a sort of universal API to
read/write structural information instead of referencing to raw formats, and
routines to query MX data, which would be more appropriate than grep (would
many SB students/postdocs use grep these days? but many if them would need to
inspect files somehow). This, in essence, is similar to discussing read/write
primitives in C/C++/Fortran rather than I/O functions of BIOS and HDD/BUS
commands that they drive.

No format can suite everybody, especially given the complexity of
macromolecular data. In contrary to the conspiracy theory of Tim, transition to
mmCIF is actually driven by scientists, rather than programmers. PDB has
limitations (e.g. limits on the number of atoms, residues and chains), which
make it not suitable in many cases today and definitely not for future. This
has been discussed many times, and one has to take measures one day; seems like
that day is coming.

But I would really like to accentuate that working with raw format, whether
through grep or otherwise, should increasingly become more and more unnecessary
habit, to say the least. Formats will evolve whatever happens, and the only
proper way to cope with it as a moving target is to use a maintained API.

Eugene