Dear All,

The following post is on behalf of Kim Henrick, where I add some editing and
thoughts of my own with his permission, so I refer to both of us in the text.

As Herbert notices quite rightly, we need to respect each other working
preferences and needs. I should think that much of effort going from CCP4, PDB,
Phenix and other players on this ground is devoted to exactly that. Here,
providing a suitable format is an extremely important and challenging
endeavour, which will have a significant impact on the field. It may look like
a distraction from doing science "right here, right now", but in fact, it is
aimed at preventing a far greater distraction, which would emerge if the issue
remains unattended and various format solutions appear here and there in
uncontrollable manner. I hope that it may be agreed that maintaining one
format, albeit not 100% suitable for just everyone, is preferable to
maintaining N formats, each one 100% suitable for 1 out of N groups of
crystallographers, with N(N-1) converters between them.

But in reality, where such a dissatisfaction with mmCIF originates from?

1) "I CANNOT GREP IT"

- this is not correct. By a special agreement, atom site loop in mmCIF look
essentially the same as in PDB, or wPDB. Left-most columns are predetermined,
compliant with PDB and made mandatory, while optional (custom or meta-data)
columns are shifted to the right. In fact, all existing grep scripts should
work on mmCIF already today without any modification or after a minimal
modification.

2) "I CANNOT READ IT WITH MY EYE, HATE IT"

- again, coordinate data in mmCIF is just as readable as in the PDB, because it
is arranged in exactly the same way, line-wise with keywords. Admittedly, this
is done by agreement, rather than enforced by the format, in order to minimise
distraction for all those reading PDB files from their screens, and those keen
on greping them. What else many people do read? Yes, REMARKs are more readable
in the PDB, but they are much more difficult to parse, and they are not
suitable for keeping metadata with relational links. If one is so keen to
human-reading REMARKS from PDB files, I suggest that this is done more
conveniently using PDB web-pages, which are designed specially for that and
offer many other useful options.

3) "I CANNOT CHANGE A CHAIN ID IN IT USING MY FAVOURITE EDITOR"

- not correct. You CAN do that in the same way as in the PDB. You CAN change
anything in the file -- of course, if you know what you do. Because atom data
in mmCIF is formatted in the same way as in PDB, I do not need to give you any
instructions. By doing this, you will probably break meta data in other parts
of mmCIF file, but this cannot be helped. Did you always care about metadata
when changing chain ID by hand in a PDB file? I only can add that hacking into
data is the last thing that can be advisable or that I would consider to be a
honour to teach to students. Admittedly, we may lack tools to edit files in a
safe way at the moment, but a constructive approach here is to raise an issue
and suggest specifications for such tools, if not to offer your own one(s).

4) "MY OWN PROGRAMS READ/WRITE ONLY PDB FORMAT AND I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REWRITE
THEM"

- all CCP4, Phenix and the PDB provide format converters. It takes only a
superficial python wrap-up around your code to teach it mmCIF, which involves
only extra file operations, quite cheap these days. In fact, this is what CCP4
will do to its own codes that are considered not suitable for rewriting to
mmCIF, so we are all in the same boat here. Certainly, this solution will
remain applicable only where your program was applicable before. If your code
cannot cope with new extended data, e.g., 100 protein chains, this is not a
format issue.

5) "MMCIF IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MOLECULAR VIEWERS"

- this is not correct. PDB has consulted major viewer vendors and the agreement
has been reached. All viewers coming from CCP4, Phenix and the PDB will be
mmCIF-compatible. In fact, this is so right now, just try Coot or CCP4mg on
mmCIF files, and if something does not work :), please report to us.

6) "MMCIF IS NOTORIOUSLY DIFFICULT FOR READING AND WRITING IN APPLICATIONS"

- not if you are using an API from one of CCP4, Phenix or the PDB. Really,
there is no honour or achievement in writing a yet another parser,
reader/writer. We work hard to provide you with tools for doing something
better than primitive coding. Do you code from scratch when reading JPG or PNG,
or when printing into PDF? What about MTZ, still a low-level reading, too?

7) "I DO NOT LIKE YOUR APIs"

- APIs are expandable and much more flexible than formats. It takes only
collaboration spirit and effort to improve them. They can be always kept
backward-compatible.

8) "YOU HAVE DONE EVERYTHING WITHOUT ASKING ME, AGAIN"

- this has nothing to do with advantages or disadvantages of mmCIF. It took
almost 20 years of discussions around mmCIF, so it is not fair to say that
absolutely nothing was done. However, 20 years is long enough to realise that a
100% ideal solution is not reachable, while there is no time left, a solution
is indeed needed. We will try to minimise the impact on end-users, who use the
software to solve structures, and if you can anticipate that something
particular will be severely impaired by format change, please let us know.

Is there something I forgot in this list?

Many thanks to everybody,

Eugene