On 08/07/2013 01:51 PM, James Stroud wrote:
In the long term, the MM structure community should perhaps get its inspiration
from SQL
For this to work, a particular interface must monopolize access to structural data. Then maintainers of that victorious interface could change the underlying format whichever way they want while supplying the never ending stream of useful features. And all other programs would be just frontends to the interface. As long as data format remains easily readable and there is more than one person willing to fiddle with code, persistence or at the very least backward compatibility of the data format will remain a (minor to me) issue. It is also important that it is much easier to write a pdb parser in your favourite language than to implement general purpose relational database management system.

For full disclosure, I personally do not share the apocalyptic feeling about transition to mmCIF.

Cheers,

Ed.

--
Oh, suddenly throwing a giraffe into a volcano to make water is crazy?
                                                Julian, King of Lemurs