Dear Paul,

my email was meant to be provocative but neither insulting nor offensive
(having provoked quite a few responses when I last used the word
'offense' this email does not suffer from a subtle misinterpretation of
mine while not using my mothertongue. The German 'Provokation' is
something a scientist would welcome since it is critism expressed in a
rhetorically pleasing or intelectually amusing way, and criticism
drives science forward).

I am very grateful never to have met a non-helpful developer when I
addressed one with a request or suggestion and I fully agree with you.

I rather meant to point out that most developers are usually
overwhelmed with work, suggestions, or ideas for improvements, and for
that reason I think having formats that allow users to help themselves
or each other (while of course they still can suggest their ideas to
the developers) is a good thing, and having a format that only allows
access through some API (or help from a developer) is not.

I would also like to point out that my initial fear that we were
moving away from such a format with the replacement of PDB with mmCIF
has been soothened with this discussion and hence the content of my
previous paragraph is deprecated w.r.t this thread's context.

Regards,
Tim

- --
Dr Tim Gruene