On Wednesday, August 07, 2013 04:00:16 pm Ed Pozharski wrote:
> On 08/07/2013 05:54 PM, Nat Echols wrote:
> > Personally, if I need to change a chain ID, I can use Coot or pdbset
> > or many other tools.  Writing code for this should only be necessary
> > if you're processing large numbers of models, or have a spectacularly
> > misformatted PDB file.  Again, I'll repeat what I said before: if it's
> > truly necessary to view or edit a model by hand or with custom shell
> > scripts, this often means that the available software is deficient.
> > PLEASE tell the developers what you need to get your job done; we
> > can't read minds.
>
> Nat,
>
> I don't think anyone here really means that the only way to change a
> chain ID is to write, say, a perl script.  But an interpreter of the
> kind advocated by James (as much as I have hijacked/misinterpreted his
> vision) could indeed be very useful for people pursuing simple
> bioinformatics projects and new ways to analyse structural models.

We tackled this a while back for the then-current incarnation of mmCIF.

   http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/parvati/mmLib.pdf

I suppose it will all have to be revisited so that it knows the quirks,
features, and foibles of the new and improved mmCIF.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg