Hi Venkat,

1. My protein is 646 amino acid long and it exists as homodimer. It is also
having         around 20 amino acid extra sequence from vector. Will vector
sequence affect       crystallization?

Only experience can tell. You should try, if possible, to crystallize both
constructs with and without the extra 20 amino acids. It is important to make
sure that you try at least the option with 20 amino acids removed. They might
interfere, for example, in DNA binding.

2. Its homologous protein shows good affinity for 31-mer. Shall I use same
length       of DNA for co- crystallization.

Yes.

But... you really want to have some reliable data for YOUR protein.
Crystallization of protein-DNA complexes is a little more tricky because you
have to decide not only how to crystallize it, but also which DNA sequence you
want and how long the sequence should be. If you can do some binding
experiments, that would really help. Determine which sequence binds best (if
any, it is advantageous if you have sequence specificity) and what the optimal
DNA length is. Alternatively, do some protection experiments: with which
sequences can you see DNA digestion in the presence of your protein? What is
the protein-protected sequence?

3. What is the length of DNA to be used?

If you have experimental information, you try (example when 31 is best:) 30,
31, 32, 33, maybe 34. The additional DNA base pairs that will stick out of your
protein may be important for crystallization and you will want to screen
multiple lengths and vary the base pairs that stick out. Note that you can (in
principle) have a non-blunt DNA sequences, i.e. one strand longer than the
other. You should try that too.

4. What is purity of oligos to be used? Is it HPLC pure or normal desalted
ones. I         have read on CCP4 mails for screening purpose normal oligos are
fine. Please       comment on that.

My experience is that you will want HPLC grade.

3. Any other suggestions on Protein DNA co- crystallization.

Characterize your protein and protein-DNA complex carefully before you try to
crystallize. There are many variables and any information you can get from
other experiments can help you in your choice how to go about crystallization
of the complex.

Note: if your protein is an enzyme, you may want to consider deactivating the
enzyme. For example, many enzymes require a Mg co-factor. If you replace Mg
with Ca, your complex may be more stable/robust and the crystallization may
work better.

Hope this helps.

Mark