On 02/13/2014 04:21 PM, Nat Echols wrote:
> Some of the other common queries ("name my blob!") still need to be
> handled on a case-by-case basis, but it would be much more
> efficient for everyone if the standard answers were collected
> somewhere permanent.
>
> -Nat
Some call it 'Jiscmail archive', others call it google or lmgtfy.com,
and having yet another 'somewhere' won't make people use more search
facilities. And since answers are not permanent overall I think it is
a good idea questions get asked again and again. It is my choice (as
putative person answering a question) to decide how much time I spent
with the question.

Cheers,
Tim

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Eugene Valkov
> <eugene.val...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I absolutely agree with Juergen.
>>
>> Leaving aside methods developers, who are a completely different
>> breed, there is no such thing as a "crystallographer" sitting in
>> a dark room solving structures all day. If there are, these are
>> anachronisms destined for evolutionary demise.
>>
>> More and more cell biologists, immunologists and all other kinds
>> of biologists are having a go at doing structural work with their
>> molecules of interest themselves without involving the
>> "professionals". Typically, they learn on the job and they need
>> advice with all kinds of things ranging from cloning and protein
>> preps through to issues with tetartohedrally-twinned data and
>> interpreting their structures.
>>
>> So, a modern structural biologist is one who is equipped for the
>> wet lab and has some idea of how to go about solving structures.
>> CCP4BB is a wonderful resource that is great for both the quality
>> of the advice offered to those that seek it and for the variety
>> of topics that are addressed in the scope of structural biology.
>> I have learnt greatly from reading posts from very skilled and
>> knowledgeable scientists at this forum and then implemented these
>> insights into my own research. I am very grateful for this.
>>
>> In short, please do not discourage your colleagues, particularly
>> very junior ones, from posting to the CCP4BB. Some of the
>> questions may appear quaint or irrelevant but it is easy to
>> simply ignore topics that are of no interest!
>>
>> Eugene
>>

>> On 13 February 2014 14:41, Bosch, Juergen <jubo...@jhsph.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Let me pick up Eleanor's comment: is there something like a
>>> crystallographer today ? I mean in the true sense ? I think as
>>> a "crystallographer" you won't be able to survive the next
>>> decade, you need to diversify your toolset of techniques as
>>> pointed out in this article
>>> http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/articles/10.1038/nj7485-711a

And I'm not quite sure how software developers see themselves, as I would

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie