Dear Jacob,
Measurement of the reciprocal space maps at reflections with triple axis
diffractometry allows experimental separation of mosaicity and strain
(variation in unit cell parameter) effects. See eg Boggon et al 2000 Acta Cryst
D56, 868-880 http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444900005837 for such studies on
protein crystals at NSLS.

In terms of diffuse scattering the above effects do get mixed in with molecular
disorders correlated over many unit cells, and thus a 'diffuse scattering
correction to measured Bragg intensities' is done in the most accurate work.But
the above effects are separate from molecular disorders over a few unit cells
ie which cause the diffraction streaks between Bragg peaks.

Then there are the long range and short range temporal vibrations, optic and
acoustic modes, in the crystal........
A workshop held at ALS on diffuse scattering recently suggests a systematic
effort is on hand to analyse diffuse X-ray scattering information in MX data
sets  for improved descriptions of macromolecular structure and dynamics.
Archiving of raw diffraction data images would also assist such important
objectives.

Best wishes,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc