Hi Zbyszek
I think this has deviated significantly from twinning problems!

I certainly don't claim the 1998 study was typical. The crystal was large by
present day standards, no cryoprotectant was used and non uniform
drying/cooling rates might have occurred.

The Juers et. al. paper includes the statement "However, in most cases [omega]
does not dominate, suggesting that [delta]a/a plays a significant role in
nearly all of our samples."
There is also the Kriminski paper
(http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2002/03/00/en0056/index.html) which includes
the statement " Flash-cooling tetragonal lysozyme crystals degrades diffraction
resolution and broadens the distributions of lattice orientations (mosaicity)
and lattice spacings. The diffraction resolution strongly correlates with the
width of the lattice-spacing distribution."
The Diedrichs paper includes "The experience of the author is that for most
protein crystals reflections are not markedly elongated along circles
corresponding to their d-spacing; therefore, `rotational mosaicity' appears to
play a minor role ..... the model calculations suggest that, apart from
inhomogeneity and disorder in unit cells, unit-cell parameter variations are
responsible for most of the imperfections that result in poor diffraction
properties of crystals.

Of course selectively quoting papers can be misleading!

Fig. 5A of Juers et al lumps omega and delta a/a together and does not
distinguish between the two. The plot is [eta] versus d. The slope of a line
fit to this plot gives an estimate of 1/s, while the y intercept estimates
[omega] + [delta]a/a. In this case, s is the mosaic block size.

To summarise cryocooling can produce a fragmentation in to smaller mosaic
blocks with larger angular variation between blocks and a distribution of cell
dimensions between blocks and within blocks (elastic strain). It really needs a
high resolution diffraction set up (to detect diffracted beam divergences above
those given by the incident beam divergence) to distinguish between the various
effects.
Of course, in some cases, such a set up could reveal certain types of twinning
(so I have left the subject of the email unchanged!)

Regards
  Colin