As has been alluded to, people (and not just crystallographers) are looking for
a simple number to indicate the quality of a structure.
Unfortunately this doesn't exist, but it doesn't keep people from wanting such
a number.
Most crystallographers (I think) now agree that throwing data away is a bad
idea and will make maps worse.
The real question is not whether to throw data away, but what to call the
resolution of a map/ structure.
A structure that has been refined with data that is ~90% complete at 3.6
Angstrom resolution but that has 2% completeness at 2.8 Angstrom would be
considered to be ?  (Just to pull one instance from the PDB).
If we as crystallographers could agree to some definition as to what our
arbitrary resolution number is, life would probably be easier for the
non-crystallographers (as well as for the crystallographers in some instances-
particularly in the process of reviewing papers).

cheers, tom

Tom Peat
Biophysics Group
CSIRO, CMSE