Hi Pavel,

I agree that you bias R-free after the real-space refinement and a
quantification would be very interesting. My point was that we normally do not
calculate R-free after real-space refinement, but after reciprocal space
refinement. Here the bias is removed again. So, the problem with bias seems a
matter of principle.

In practical terms we have to choose the best option:
1) Refine against maps with missing reflections and the possibility of
artefacts that lead to suboptimal results. This keeps R-free unbiased, even
directly after real-space refinement.
2) Refine against maps with test reflections set to Fcalc. This biases against
the current model, but should have less artefacts. This too keeps R-free
unbiased directly after real-space refinement.
3) Refine against maps with all reflections. This should give the best fitting
results, but does introduce bias to the test set. However, this bias is lost
after (converged!) reciprocal-space refinement.

I think that for the final R-free these are equivalent.

Cheers,
Robbie