Dear Eugene and other CCP4ers

The recent discussion about superposition has prompted me to ask about a
different kind of superposition problem.  We are working on a small dimeric
protein that is entirely made up of helices.  Instead of large, concerted
domain movements, which I am quite familiar with, we have 3 structures for the
dimer that display slightly, but significantly different helical conformations.
 I have been able to find the minimal substructure that allows the best
superposition (lowest RSMD and maximum number of aligned/superimposed C-alphas).

The problem is that none of the superposition programs available outputs a list
of residue by residue deviations OUTSIDE of the alignment set (for good reason
as there may not be 1 to 1 correspondence outside of this set).  I can do some
of this in a piecemeal fashion with Moleman2, but not everything I want.  My
question is, after creating an "optimal" structural alignment, are there newer
programs that:

(1) Create a list of residue by residue deviations over different subsets of
the structure, particularly OUTSIDE of an alignment set?

(2) Localize and measure "movement" of secondary structure (helix tilt or
bending)?

I can't seem to find what I need, but I may not be searching with the right key
words.

Thanks,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com