Dear Mike,

                   I think that the "old" CCP4 "superpose" program used to be
able to do this ? (This was a FORTRAN program, based on code from Wayne
Hendrickson's PROLSQ program). With this program you specify one set of
residues to do the alignment with and another set to do the statistics on
(after alignment).

I don't know if this is still in the CCP4 archive somewhere, but I do have a
copy of the source code that I could let you have.

Best wishes,
Andrew