On 12 Jan 2015, at 10:09, Bernhard Rupp
<b...@ruppweb.org<mailto:b...@ruppweb.org>> wrote:

What still evades me is, why exactly is the Babinet immune to these effects of
excluding/masking-out unmodelled parts?
The Babinet correction is also a function of the MODELLED part, just the
opposite sign. So an incomplete model
de facto equals an over-estimated solvent. Is it just the high effective
dampening of this correction (B ~200) as
Pavel said that makes it less susceptible because the higher resolution
reflections are less affected and
therefore have a chance to correct/overcome the inadequate (implicit) masking?

I have the feeling that this might be the case.
More details on the two bulk-solvent correction methods available in Refmac
(with formulae) are in Murshudov et al (2011) Acta Cryst D67, 355-367 - Section
2.4

Best wishes
Roberto

Best, BR

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Eleanor
Dodson
Sent: Sonntag, 11. Januar 2015 17:05
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Bulk solvent

Yes. If the model is incomplete it is obviously not sensible to use the mask
based solvent - you will tend to lose the unmodelled features. It also gives
unrealistically low R factors for a crystal with high solvent content. However
the best test would be to analyse maps and try to decide if & when the
different procedures work best.. A project for a student dissertation perhaps??
  Eleanor

On 9 January 2015 at 20:13, Roberts, Sue A - (suer)