This may be useful reading on charge density crystallography:

http://journals.iucr.org/a/issues/1998/05/00/by0157/by0157.pdf

I like the phrase ‘gourmet crystallographers’

Best, BR

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Mark van
der Woerd
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 9:28 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] proton scattering by X-rays

Not very well. When you look in the originally quoted article, there is really
not much difference in the ED for H+ and H- (which are conveniently both shown
in Fig 2). You build a model that is consistent with 'book knowledge' (i.e.
normal hydrogen has only one bond) and take it from there.

You have a point that the resolution isn't very good at 0.89A (sorry!)  but I
suspect that the number of recorded reflections is much more important than the
nebulous number of 0.89A (i.e. you can start to see these little details
because you finally have an over-determined system parameters).

What you CAN do in fact is appropriately subtract "spherical electron density"
from the experimental density and see what is left (i.e. directional ED that is
'surplus'). I tried to quickly find a paper on that, they exist, and they show
that experimental density does confirm what we learn in chemistry class,
orbitals are not imaginary.

Mark