Yes it can.  Ethidium stains DNA by intercalating between base pairs, so if
most of your DNA is tightly bound by protein the ethidium may not be able to
wiggle in there.  We've seen that happen with Mu transposase - DNA complexes.
If that's the problem, soak your gel in SDS plus EtBr and you should see the
DNA.

Unfortunately, if your protein and DNA are aggregating in the wells, there is a
possibility of the staining process knocking them loose.  In that case, you'll
need to play with the conditions to get nice, soluble complexes that enter the
gel (tweak the [salt], try adding a little non-denaturing detergent, change the
pH, speak to it kindly but forcefully ...).  Some DNA-binding proteins are not
soluble at high concentration and low salt, so you may need to lower the
concentration of everything in your assay, which may require switching to a
more sensitive stain (or 32P).

Also, because the mobility in a native gel is determined by the charge: mass
ratio and the shape, it is impossible to predict exactly where the complex
should run (i.e. your DNA-only markers are meaningless except for marking the
free-DNA band).

Good luck!

Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The University of Chicago

pr...@uchicago.edu<mailto:pr...@uchicago.edu>