From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Engin
Özkan
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:02 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] For stabilizing protein-protein complex

Not observing a complex on a gel filtration run for a week complex (micromolar)
is not necessarily unexpected. It all depends on your protein concentrations,
the dissociation kinetics (remember, a gel filtration run is not an equilibrium
experiment - it dilutes and separates your sample), etc.

I would make sure that the SPR results are believable and sensible: if the
affinity is really weak, I'd expect very fast kinetics - most weak interactions
come with faster association and dissociation. As a result, in this affinity
range, you can't fit kinetics data in SPR, and can only do an Langmuir isotherm
fit to your equilibrium binding response values.

Also, you should check your expected Rmax values (based on how much you
captured on the chip), and make sure that your responses don't exceed the
theoretical values. Otherwise, you are just observing non-specific binding.
Similarly, if your responses are way too low compared to the expected, your
protein on the chip might be mostly inactive - again, not good.

If everything checks out, just mix your two proteins at the right
stoichiometric ratio, concentrate a lot, and go ahead with crystallization (if
that's what you want).

Engin