Hi Developers,

I am wondering whether we fully utilize our hardware, and knowing not much
about the finer detail, I'd like to ask a few questions.

Most workstations have 6-12 or more cores, and equipped with plenty of cheap
memory and SSD arrays and some overclocking, these machines

are pretty decent. Some programs, like xds-par which I run under Win10 in a
Fedora/RH VM fully use the cores and are blazing fast.

On WIN10, some like Shelxd also use all the cores.

In principle, almost all multi-solution programs should be able to be
parallelized relatively simple, by spawning threads and combining the

results later (which I could do e.g. with my arp/warp implements).

Unfortunately, also some stuff that could be easily run on multiple cores
like phenix multi-conformer refi, epmr, or similar does not,

or not on Windows. Why not and how difficult is that to change?

Second, even other programs that have nested loops (and who has not) can be
compiled with e.g. the ifort compiler to use multiple

threads and cores on the i7 series, at least. It is just weird to have say
refmac putter along in one core on a de facto semi-idle workstation.

Is (automated) parallelization via compiler directives feasible, also on
Win, what would it bring, how difficult?

Thx, BR

Bernhard Rupp

Crystallographiae Vindicis Militum Ordo

 <http://www.hofkristallamt.org/> http://www.hofkristallamt.org/