On Friday, 10 November 2017 05:29:09 Keller, Jacob wrote:
> >>62500 is < 40^3, so ±20 indices on each axis.
> 50Å / 20 = 2.5Å,  so not quite 2.5Å resolution
>
> Nice--thanks for calculating that. Couldn't remember how to do it off-hand,
> and I guess my over-estimate comes from most protein crystals having some
> symmetry. I don't really think it affects the question though--do you?
>
> >>All that proves is that assigning each 1x1x1 voxel a separate density value
> >>is a very inefficient use of information.  Adjacent voxels are not
> >>independent, and no possible assignment of values will get around the
> >>inherent blockiness of the representation.
>
> Not sure what this means--what is the precise definition or measure of
> "efficient use of information?" Like a compression algorithm?

If it helps you to think of it that way, fine.
Suppose it is possible to compress a data set losslessly.
The information content is unchanged, but the compressed representation
is smaller than the original, so the information content per unit of size
is higher - a better use of space - hence "more efficient".

> Are diffraction data sets like compressed data?

Not the diffraction data, no.

But it is true that a truncated Fourier series is one way of compressing data.
Because of the truncation. it is a lossy, rather than lossless, compression.
An infinite series could give infinite resolution, but a truncated series is
limited by the resolution of terms that are kept after truncation.

For example the compression used in JPEG is a truncated discrete cosine
transform (DCT), making JPEG files smaller than the original pixel-by-pixel
image.

I'll throw a brain-teaser back at you.

As just noted, encoding the continuous electron density distribution in a
unit cell as a truncated Fourier series is essentially creating a JPEG image of
the original.  It is lossy, but as we know from experience JPEG images are
pretty good at retaining the "feel" of the origin even with fairly severe
truncation.

But newer compression algorithms like JPEG2000 don't use DCTs,
instead they use wavelets.   I won't get sidetracked by trying to describe
wavelets, but the point is that by switching from a series of cosines to
a series of wavelets you can get higher compression.  They are
more efficient in representing the original data at a selected resolution.

So here's the brain-teaser:
Why does Nature use Fourier transforms rather than Wavelet transforms?
Or does she?
Have we crystallographers been fooled into describing our experiments
in terms of Fourier transforms when we could do better by using wavelets
or some other transform entirely?

        Ethan