This has been a fascinating thread. Thanks.

I will dip my oar in the water.  Here are a couple of snippets.

Jacob: It was good of proto-crystallographers to invent diffraction as a way to apply Fourier Series.

and

Ethan: So here's the brain-teaser: Why does Nature use Fourier transforms rather than Wavelet transforms? Or does she?

Probably Jacob was joking, but I believe we should say that physicists (and Ms. Nature) employ the Fourier transform/synthesis because this models pretty precisely the way that we believe light rays/waves of all energies interfere with one another.

Warm regards, Bob