Ethan and I apparently agree that anomalous scattering is "normal"
and Friedel's Law is just an approximation.  I'll presume that your
"unique" is assuming otherwise and your 62,500 reflections only include
half of reciprocal space.  The full sphere of data would include 125,000
reflections.  Since the cube root of 125,000 is 50 you get a range of
indices from -25 to +25 which would give you 2 A resolution, which is
still far from your hope of 1 A.

   For your test case of 1 A resolution with 50 A cell lengths you want
your indices to run from -50 to +50 giving a box of reflections in
reciprocal space 101 spots wide in each direction and a total of 101^3 =
1,030,301 reflections. (or 515,150.5 reflections for your Friedel unique
with the "half" reflection being the F000 which would then be purely
real valued.)

   Assuming you can fit your structure factors into 16 bits (You had
better not have many more than 10,000 atoms if you don't want your F000
to overflow.) the information content will be 1,030,301 * 2 * 16 bits
(The "2" because they are complex.) giving 32,969,632 bits.

   If you spread this same amount of information across real space you
will have 1,030,301 complex density values in a 50x50x50 A space giving
a sampling rate along each axis of 101 samples/unit cell.

   Complex density values?  The real part of the density is what we call
the electron density and the imaginary part we call the anomalous
density.  If there is no anomalous scattering then Friedel's Law holds
and the number of unique reflections is cut in half and the density
values are purely real valued - The information content in both spaces
is cut in half and they remain equal.

   By sampling your unit cell with 101 samples their rate is half that
of the wavelength of the highest frequency reflection.  (e.q. a sampling
rate of 0.5 A for 1 A resolution data)  This is, of course, the Nyquist
Theorem which states that you have to sample at twice the frequency of
the highest resolution Fourier coefficient.

  This is exactly how an FFT works.  It allocates the memory required to
store the structure factors and it returns the map in that same array -
The number of bytes is unchanged.  It also guarantees that the
calculation is reversible as no information is lost in either direction.

   So, why does your blocky image look so bad?  First you have sampled
too coarsely.  You should have twice the sampling rate in each direction.

   The next point is more subtle.  You are displaying each voxel as a
block.  This is not correct.  The sharp lines that occur at the
boundaries between the blocks is a high frequency feature which is not
consistent with a 1 A resolution image.  Your sample points should be
displayed at discrete points since they are not the average density
within a block but the value of the density at one specific point.

   What is the density of the map between the sampled points?  The
Fourier series provides all the information needed to calculate them and
you can calculate values for as fine a sampling rate as you like, just
remember that you are not adding any more information because these new
points are correlated with each other.

   If you have only the samples of a map and want to calculate Fourier
coefficients there are many sets of Fourier coefficients that will
reproduce the sampled points equally well.  We specify a unique solution
in the FFT by defining that all reflections of resolution higher than 1
A must be identically equal to zero.  When you calculate a map from a
set of coefficients that only go to 1 A resolution this is guaranteed.

   When you are calculating coefficients from any old map you had better
ensure that the map you are sampling does not contain information of a
higher resolution than twice your sampling rate.  This is a problem when
calculating Fcalc from an atomic model.  You calculate a map from the
model and FFT it, but you can't sample that map at 1/2 the resolution of
your interest.  You must sample that map much more finely because an
atomic model implies Fourier coefficients of very high resolution.
(Otherwise phase extension would be impossible)  This problem was
discussed in detail in Lynn Ten Eyck's 1976 paper on Fcalc FFT's but is
often forgotten.  Gerard Bricogne's papers on NCS averaging from the
1970's also discusses these matters in great depth.

   In summary, your blocky picture (even with double sampling) is not a
valid representation because it is not blurry like a 1 A resolution map
should be.  To create an accurate image you need to oversample the map
sufficiently to prevent the human eye from detecting aliasing artifacts
such as the straight lines visible in your blocky picture.  This
requires very fine sampling because the eye is very sensitive to
straight lines.  When using a map for any purpose other than FFTing you
will need to oversample the map by some amount to prevent aliasing
artifacts and the amount of oversampling will depend on what you are
doing to the map (Again, see Gerard's papers.)  Such an oversampled map
will have many more voxels but no more information because the density
values are correlated.

Dale Tronrud