On 12/14/17 6:38 PM, "Edward A. Berry" <ber...@upstate.edu> wrote:

>On 12/14/2017 04:34 AM, Tim Gruene wrote:
>> Dear Tommi,
>>
>1.
>> if you only need to consider translations, and not other symmetry
>>operations,
>> you can use moleman2, convert coordinates to fractional ones and add or
>> substract the integer that brings the centre of mass closest to 0.
>>
>2.
>> In case you want to take the symmetry operations into account, you
>>would have
>> to check for each operator, which one brings the centre of mass closest
>>to 0.
>> This could most likely be scripted with moleman2.
>>
>3. If you also want to consider origin shifts (in spacegroups where
>alternate origins exist) the achesym site does that. (If you can't bring
>the molecule to the origin, bring the origin to the molecule)
>
>4. If you also want to pack multiple chains that may have been built in
>various locations into a compact multimer, the achesym site does that.
>
>But no, it's not a simple script.
>And I believe the achesym site works not so much to put the center of
>mass near the origin, but to put as many atoms as possible in first unit
>cell (0<x,y,z<1; fractional). Moving closer to the origin within the unit
>cell is then a secondary priority.

Actually the case in hand is a monomer in AU with biomol dimer generated
by xtal symmetry. So 1) want to move close to origin then 2) get the
transformation for dimer (coot + PISA seems to do fineŠ I thinkŠ wil check
what happens in refinementŠ)

Achesym just gave an error and didn't find any transformations for some
reason - this is in F4132.
No idea why it happened - will try to remember to report it.

Thanks for the insights again,
Tommi