Hi

Just to echo what has been said before, and expand a little.

(*) 5mm NMR tubes are wonderful for growing small molecule crystals in the way
Artem describes - partly because they have _extremely_ smooth interior surfaces
with few nucleation points - so you tend to get fewer, bigger crystals. You
could also leave the NMR tube sealed, and having run your spectrum at room
temperature, just “bung it in the ‘fridge or freezer” for a couple of weeks.
I’ve grown 1st-class crystals by just forgetting the (sealed) nmr tube on my
bench for a week or so...

(*) PX beamlines are possibly not the best for small molecules because you
really want to get the high resolution data - say ~0.7Å; a lab-based
diffractometer in a Chemistry department will do this routinely. If you can
only grow “tiny" crystals (say << 0.1mm), then you may benefit from a
synchrotron, but even then a good, modern set-up in a Chem lab would possibly
still do the job.

(*) I'm being a little picky here, but you don’t use SHELXL to solve structures
- it’s for refinement. You want one of the structure solution programs like
SHELXD, SHELXS or SHELXT. If you’re a masochist you could try to get hold of an
old copy of SHELX-76 and pick your own triplets to solve or try to find the
heavy atoms “by hand” from thelist of peaks in a Patterson map, and also use
the same program to refine - but I really, really, wouldn’t recommend it unless
you don’t have better things to do and don’t mind arguing with referees about
why you used a program that hasn’t really been developed since Jimmy Carter was
POTUS!

There are other solutions to solving and refining small molecule structures -
some I’ve used are Crystals (from the Oxford lab), SIR (in various flavours,
from Bari), OLEX (from Durham) and Crysalis-Pro (from Rigaku). All work, each
is slightly different, all are acceptable to all of the major journals.

HTH

Harry