Dear Marian Oliva,

in my experience, MATE, XFCE and Plasma 5/KDE work well with 3D stereo if the compositor is disabled. You don't even have to disable COMPOSITE in the xorg.conf - for those desktops, it is sufficient to disable composite in the respective desktop/compositor/window manager settings (tested with Debian Stable and CentOS 8; unfortunately, I can't access my documents for more details).

For Gnome 3, the picture is somewhat mixed: the gnome3 shell crashes if you disable composite in xorg.conf. However, if you use a recent Fedora or CentOS 8 (which is based on relatively recent Fedoras), 3D stereo works under Gnome 3 out-of-the-box. Upon switching 3D stereo on/off, you will notice a delay of ~1 second, before a message appears that stereo has been enabled/disabled. I guess, in these distributions, the compositor is somehow switched in the background without crashing the session.

Independent of the desktop, for Fedora/CentOS 8, it might be necessary to place a udev rule to give write permissions to the USB emitter for regular users. So, if 3D stereo works under root, but not under a regular user, you should create a rule like /etc/udev/rules.d/98-nvstusb.rules, with the contents

# NVIDIA 3D Vision USB IR Emitter
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0955", ATTR{idProduct}=="0007", MODE="0666"

Cheers,

Dirk.