INSTALING STEREO COOT 3D VISION 2 FROM NVIDIA UNDER UBUNTU

HARDWARE

CARD: NVIDIA QUADRO 4000. Bought second hand in AMAZON. Other Quadro NVIDIA
cards would get the job done as long as they have the 3-pin DIN stereo
connector. But this is the cheapest alternative I foundI had to buy the PCI
Plate got the 3-pin DIN port separately, it was lost from the second hand card.

GLASSES: 3D NVIDIA 2 Also bought Second hand in AMAZON

MONITOR:  Asus VG248 Nvidia 3D Ready In this case from Ebay

Connecting the hardware was trivial. But I recommend to first connect the VG240
using the Dual Link DVI wire and do the setup with this, then you can
complicate your life with the second screen.

 SOFTWARE IMPORTANT ISSUES.

The installation is not too difficult if you know a couple of tricks, but I
didn´t:

- You have to correctly install the NVIDIA driver. I used 390.138 Legacy Linux
driver. Not too difficult. Download from here

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/
<https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/>
Execute as root.

You will get this message

An incomplete installation of libglvnd was found. All of the essential

libglvnd libraries are present, but on or more optional components are missing.

Do you want to install a full copy of libglvnd? This will overwrite

any existing libglvnd libraries.

Answer DON´T INSTALL. Or fully remove libglvnd and reinstall them.

See this Web for other tips.

https://www.berkhanberkdemir.com/2019/07/24/how-to-not-install-nvidia-driver-in-linux.html

<https://www.berkhanberkdemir.com/2019/07/24/how-to-not-install-nvidia-driver-in-linux.html>

3D IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH COMPOSITE EXTENSIONS OF THE DESKTOP manager.

I found a LOT of info in this page

https://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/ccp4wiki/index.php/Stereo
<https://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/ccp4wiki/index.php/Stereo>
This should be enough to get stereo working. However, note that there is a
major issue on linux with window compositing causing stereo images to display
improperly. This is a problem with the window display manager, and is not
inherent to Xorg or NVidia. If you try to turn on stereo in Coot in a display
manager that makes use of the Xorg compositing extension (e.g., Gnome3, or
Unity in Ubuntu) then what you will see when you activate hardware stereo is a
slight rotation of the view, but stereo remains disabled. In order to get
around this problem, you must use a display manager that does not make use of
compositing as part of its eye candy. This author has found the MATE desktop to
work quite well for this purpose (and may in fact be one of the few that still
does not use software compositing by default). Note that you do not need to
disable the Compositing extension in the Xorg configuration file to make this
work -- this will allow you to switch back to Gnome3, Unity, etc when you don't
need stereo if you prefer! Not disabling the window compositing extension
globally allows for a more flexible setup depending on your preferred workflow.

I tried to desactivate the COMPOSITE extension in xorg.conf as suggested.

Section "Extensions"
         Option     "Composite" "Disable"
       EndSection

But all the Desktop Environments I had miserable failed to start.

Then I simply install MATE environment

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/install-mate-desktop-ubuntu-14-04-lts
<https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/install-mate-desktop-ubuntu-14-04-lts>
Select it and everything worked.

Best luck if you want to repeat my experience!

Marian Oliva
CSIC-Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas Margarita Salas
9, Ramiro de Maeztu
28040-Madrid (Spain)

phone: 0034 91 8373112 (x4380)
e-mail: mar...@cib.csic.es

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso los ficheros
adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el uso exclusivo de su
destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución, reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de
transmisión por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted
recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el
mensaje recibido.

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the
designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use
of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and
delete all copies.